City Council Executive Board Meeting re Loss of Space

This meeting was to decide whether the council should proceed with its plan to dispose of some public open spaces, adjacent to the Garden Festival site. This disposal was first proposed in April 2007. Many people objected. Mostly because of the disposal of the so called “finger blocks”. Land that projects out near the promenade walkway.

( This additional land disposal will not go ahead anyway if the Public Inquiry decides against Langtree MCLean. )

When the disposal was first proposed there was an error in the maps used, meaning that more land is needed than was shown then. The correct version of the maps will not be re advertised because the land is not publicly accessible.

Maps can be seen here…
Map 1
Map 2
Map 3

Full details can be found on the council website

It was decided that…

i) the objections to the proposed disposal of open space adjacent to the Festival Gardens and River Mersey Promenade, St Michaels (as hatched on the plan marked Garden Festival Site – Additional Land and Access Land) be not sustained;

(ii) the granting of a lease of the said land to Langtree McLean Ltd. (LML) for a term to be co-terminous with and on the same terms and conditions as the lease of that part of the Garden Festival site that is to be developed be approved subject to –
– LML obtaining planning permission for their proposals for the redevelopment of the Festival Gardens site; and
– The use of the land being restricted by covenant to the construction of the proposed development including the installation of supporting structures and thereafter as open space; and

(iii) the decision be referred to the Regeneration Select Committee.

2 Comments

  1. admin says:

    Bradley Goes Back On Prom Pledge As Still More Public Land Goes To Property Developer

    5th June 2008…At the first Executive Board of the new Council (this coming Friday 6th June) Warren Bradley looks setto go back on a pledge he gave last year that there was no need to transfer public land along the prom to property developer Langtree McLean for their planned scheme to build 1300 luxury apartments on the Festival Gardens site in South Liverpool.

    It turns out that blunders in the planning department mean that a long strip of public land – consisting of the landscaped woodland along the prom just south of the Britannia Inn – had wrongly been assumed to be part of the developer’s lease.

    An Executive Board of the Council meeting this coming Friday is expected to be asked to nod through the transfer of this woodland to LangtreeMcLean so that it can be cut down and seven river front luxury apartment blocks can be built. [The disposal is to be discussed under item agenda 4e (Report EDR/34/08 ‘Loss of Open Space adjoining Festival Gardens’. It can be viewed on the City Council website, item 4e, on the agenda of the Executive Board meeting 06 June 2008.]

    LucyPage, Chair of the Save the Festival Gardens Campaign says that the transfer would be the latest in a series of broken promises with regard to the Festival Gardens.

    ‘In April 2007 ahead of Council Elections Warren Bradley said there was no need to transfer any public land- then after those elections it was announced that 850 square metres needed to be transferred and now after this year’s elections it turns out that they need to transfer another 600 square metres.

    It really makes you hold your nose about open and honest government in this City.”

    Problems with the boundary derives from the fact that when Merseyside Development Corporation erected the fence around the main site at the Old Garden Festival site, they did not follow the boundary of the lease.

    The possibility that the maps being used by the Council and the developers were inaccurate was raised at the Inquiry by John Davies, a member of the Save the Festival Gardens Campaign.

    Initially the accuracy of the Langtree MacLean plans was strongly defended by both the Council and the property developer – however errors were finally admitted and the Council produced a sequence of maps only for them also to be withdrawn after further inaccuracies were spotted.

    A final plan was provided to the Inquiry on 8th January 2008 – the final day evidence was admitted – some two months after problems had been identified.

    The Inquiry Inspector’s report is currently with the Secretary of State awaiting her decision on the future of the Festival Gardens. If the decision goes in the Council’s favour the Council – who have supported the property developer’s scheme in the face of widespread public opposition – intend to transfer the land for free to Langtree McLean without advertising their intention as would normally be the case.

    TheCouncil’s position appears to be that as the area was fenced off for 20years they no longer have to advertise it as loss of public open space. However John Davies for the Campaign argues that evidence heard at theInquiry showed that the fence was so badly maintained public access hadin fact been very easy.

    ‘During the Inquiry it was repeatedly demonstrated that owing to LangtreeMcLean’s poor maintenance of the Festival Garden site the fence was full of large holes and many members of the public were in fact well used to walking in the woods which it now turns out were public all along.’

    ‘We believe there are strong grounds for arguing that there was public access to this land, and that if the City Council are to proceed with their intentions, the Council should at least advertise it as a loss of public open space. Indeed as the previous plans used were inaccurate,the whole loss of public open space should be re-advertised.’

    “The Campaign certainly believes that this stretch of land is a huge visual asset for the prom, and that it is in the public interest to retain it. Warren Bradley is treating the public with contempt in this matter.’

    Note for Editors:

    TheCampaign identified the inaccuracy of the plans offered by the Counciland Property Developer at the very start of the Inquiry – see following press release October 29th 2007.

    DEVELOPER’S MAP TAKES SLICE FROM LIVERPOOL PROM
    LangtreeMcLean map for building along the prom ‘appears to be inaccurate’ saycampaigners – prom public space is wrongly shown as part of thefestival gardens leased area.

    October 29 th 2007. . . Campaigners against the proposed Festival Gardensredevelopment say they’ve discovered still more problems with LangtreeMcLean’s plan to build a series of luxury apartment blocks along Liverpool’s waterfront.

    Campaignersbelieve that recent detailed maps from the developer (which have just been made available ahead of the Public Inquiry into the development)show a misundertanding of the boundary line between the prom publicspace and the area of the Festival Gardens to which the developers have the lease.

    Campaignspokesman David Morton explained, ‘we’ve been checking the LangtreeMcLean plans with the ordnance survey maps and their plans appear to bemisleading about how much public land is being handed over for theprivate development.’

    on behalf of Lucy Page

  2. admin says:

    Trying to find a source for this question, I found your web page – can you help?

    Why is the gate on the riverside walk adjacent to the marina dock entrance still locked now that the building next to the walk has been completely demolished?

    by Ray Clay ray.clay[at]btinternet.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *