Allerton Oak Website

An excellent website for Local History, Photographs and suggested walks. The site only has a few references to the Riverside Drive area but it is worth a visit.

read more

Disused Stations

This photo was taken 10th April 1955 and shows a train about to enter the tunnel to Dingle Station. The location is approximately where Greens Leisure Club is today. The following is taken from the Disused Stations in the UK website The most famous closed railway in Liverpool is of course the Liverpool Overhead Railway.    Dingle Station, Toxteth Dock, Herculaneum Dock, Brunswick Dock, Wapping Dock and Canning being perhaps the most local. Other Liverpool disused stations also feature on the website A site dedicated to Dennis John Norton a Birmingham photographer contains more photographs and insights into the...

read more

History of the River

The story of the riverside is a fascinating one. Mike Royden’s Local History Pages is a website well worth visiting to learn about the history of Otterspool. Construction of the Otterspool Promedade wall started in September 1929 and was completed in 1932. The Riverside Promenade was opened to the public on the 7th of July 1950 (Old Photos copyright Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries). A theme that seems to run through the history of the area is that of great ideas, many of which never see the light of day. Here is a sketch of the completed Promenade at Otterspool, showing proposals for a showground, staduim and golf course. The date 1948! The Liverpool Record Office have many old photos of the area. Look for the Online Catalogue link and type “Otterspool” in the AnyText” box. I intend to copy some of them to the Gallery Otterspool Prom. 22/05/1950 Official Opening Day, Otterspool Prom. 07/07/1950. A photograph of the opening day of the Otterpool Prom. The Lord Mayor and Mayoress are walking along the prom with a number of dignitaries walking behind them. 07/07/1950. A photograph of opening scenes at Otterspool Prom. Crowds of people are walking along the promenade next to the River...

read more